[drupal-devel] Core Folksonomy > 98% Finished. Review Needed.

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed Mar 23 20:26:08 UTC 2005

Alright. I've just committed to sandbox/morbus/folksonomy_shared what I've
considered my "worthy of being an official patch" code. At this point, I'm
looking for code review, UI comments, blah blah blah blah. I'll pause for
comments before I consider making this an Issue/Feature Request.

To recap:

  * only one new column is added: vocabulary.tags.
  * there is nothing in here about "My Tags" or "Similar", etc.
  * the big difference between core / "free tagging":
   * an input box for tags to be typed in, not a selectbox.
   * free tagging vocabularies can grow very very large.

As such, the patch:

  * uses the new vocabulary.tags to determine what sort of UI to use.
  * enhances the admin/taxonomy to use paged displays for tagged vids.
  * besides the above, treats "free tags" vid as any other vid, which
    means admins can define a hierarchy, related terms, synonyms,
    RSS feeds are possible, tid+tid+tid URLs are fine, etc., etc.

Everything else is just elementary changes to support the above.

Here are the latest round of screenshots.

  http://disobey.com/detergent/2005/drupal_folkdef.jpg
  Create/edit vocabulary screen. Per discussions with #drupal, I've dropped
  all mention of "Community created". "Free tagging", and the help text
  beneath it, were tweaked/hemmed/hawed amongst #drupal participants.

  http://disobey.com/detergent/2005/drupal_folknodeedit.jpg
  Creating/editing a node. Notice the help text, the input box, and
  the fact multiple vocabularies are still possible (the "Controlled
  Test" is a regular, admin-controlled vocabulary).

  http://disobey.com/detergent/2005/drupal_folknodesubmit.jpg
  The result of the previous screenshot. Notice how, on output, tags
  are treated just like any other vocabulary term. "Alice" is from
  our "Controlled Test" in the previous screenshot.

  http://disobey.com/detergent/2005/drupal_folkpager1.jpg
  The new admin/taxonomy. Lots of tiny improvements here. Non-
  "free tagging" vocabularies are display as they are in core.
  Free tagging vocabularies, on the assumption that they can
  grow very large, only display under "view terms". Also note
  the addition of help text for vocabs without terms.

  http://disobey.com/detergent/2005/drupal_folkpager2.jpg
  What happens when you click on "view terms" of any vocabulary
  (free tagging or not). Pages are divided at the 25 term mark.
  The grey squiggly means "this screenshot was too long so just
  imagine a bunch of terms here").

Comments? Go nuts.

--
Morbus Iff ( you are nothing without your robot car, NOTHING! )
Spidering Hacks: http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596005776/disobeycom