[drupal-devel] Question on taxonomy_form() function

Scott Courtney scott at 4th.com
Wed Mar 30 14:43:37 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 09:32, Morbus Iff wrote:
> I'm not sure why you actually /need/ the $vid.

The problem is that when I call taxonomy_form() for each $vid, I need to pass
this function the array containing all the current selections for that
particular vid's terms. It's not that I can't *get* the tids I need for
taxonomy_save(), but rather that I have no good way to pass them back to
taxonomy_form() when the user clicks "preview".

Your comments do raise another possibility, though, in that I could simply
walk through the complex array and make a simple one containing *all* the
tids for *all* the vocabs represented on my page. Presumably taxonomy_form
does an array search as it emits each <OPTION> tag, to see if that particular
tid should get SELECTED or not. If there are extra tids listed in the array,
one would presume that they would simply never match on the searches, and would
therefore do no harm.

It also occurs to me that for my particular module, maybe I just don't need
the preview feature at all. I built a dummy "preview" submit button for testing,
but maybe in real life all I need is "Make It So, Mr. Crusher!" to actually do
the import. That would make those tid numbers a one-way trip, never going back
to the UI at all.

Scott