[drupal-devel] Re: schema definition

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Wed Mar 30 15:23:58 UTC 2005

Hi:

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 04:24:23PM +0200, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

> Aye, but with the forthcoming PHP 5.1 with its included PDO I plan to do a
> PDO layer which would expand the possibilities a lot. PDO supports many
> DBs, and it's thin, I think it'll be good for us.

It is, but it will be a long time until PHP 5.1 is widely available
on web hosts.

> It'd be _very_ difficult to maintain the schemas for all RDBMs
> which PDO support.

As mentioned yesterday, I came up with a simpler schema browser/builder
which y'all might want to adopt.  While it uses PEAR DB, that can be
fairly easily swapped out for Drupal's database functions.

http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/presentations/portability/slides/create-structure.htm

Since I last posted that URI, I tweaked the file to provide links to the
source code for the building scripts and a link to the .tgz containing the
source and presentation.

Subsequent to putting that presentation together, I've adjusted that
system.  Rather than setting the properties using methods, the new
portability class is a bit more elegant, declaring/setting the properties
in separate DBMS specific classes that extend the base class.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/