[drupal-devel] phptemplate in core?

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Sun May 1 15:49:22 UTC 2005

Adrian et al,

here is what I'd like to see happen: get PHPTemplate in core.  We'd
need to:

1. remove Xtemplate from core.
2. remove the Bluemarine theme from core (Xtemplate based).
3. remove the Pushbutton theme from core (Xtemplate based).
4. add PHPTemplate to core.
5. add a PHPTemplate-based theme to core.

Steps 1, 2 and 3 are easy.  Steps 4 and 5 need to be discussed.

- What needs to be done to get PHPTemplate in core?  From what I can
tell, PHPTemplate's engine-specific settings (eg. the primary and
secondary links) need some work.

- What PHPTemplate-based theme should we ship with core?  Should we
port either Bluemarine or Pushbutton to PHPTemplate or should we go
with fresh themes?  My requirements for such theme would be:
   1. The theme must validate as XHTML.
   2. The theme's CSS classes/IDs must comply Drupal's naming
conventions.
   3. The theme should work on all browsers without hacks.
   4. The theme should be simple and easy to customize.  No themes with
a bazillion of small images that no one will ever change.