[drupal-devel] phptemplate in core?

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Sun May 1 17:34:00 UTC 2005

On 01 May 2005, at 18:29, K B wrote:
> Regarding removing xtemplate engine, why not leave it in core? At
> least for 4.7, then remove it in 4.8 so people have a transition
> period.

The problem with the Xtemplate engine is that its code is dated.  If
you use Xtemplate in combination with PHP5, it is generating lots of
warnings which we are currently suppressing in a rather hack-ish way.
To fix this properly, we would have to rewrite large parts of
Xtemplate.

I don't think we need to drag Xtemplate along in Drupal 4.7:
- We can announce in advance that Drupal 4.7 will no longer support
Xtemplate.
- We will maintain Xtemplate in the contributions repository so it will
remain available.