[drupal-devel] MySQL 3, MySQL 4 and MySQL 5

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Sun May 1 18:01:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, 1 May 2005, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> At what point should we drop MySQL 3 support?
>
> MySQL 4 has been released on October 21, 2001 [1] and a MySQL 5 BETA
> release is already available from [2].
>
>  From my investigation, making MySQL 4 a requirement would allow us to
> use row-level locking and transactions, two features that are becoming
> increasingly important.  If would allow us to get rid of the various
> MySQL errors, and would bring us one step closer to true database
> integrity.  It would be nice if we could take advantage of these in
> Drupal 4.7.

I agree. This would be nice to have and is essential for Drupal
becoming even more the CMF is wants to be.

> [1] http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/news/article_81.html
> [2] http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html
>
> Thoughts?

Generally, it will cause the same problem for me as switching to PHP 4.3
did. I run Debian and Debian stable does only provide MySQL 3. I haven't
checked if there is a .deb for MySQL 4 on backports.org yet.

However, since our database abstraction layer is very modular, I could
even continue to use mysql 3 if I wrote an appropriate include file and
would be willing to live without some of the more advanced features.

The question is if we should ship a database.mysql3.inc file with
Drupal 4.7 or not.

Cheers,
	Gerhard