[drupal-devel] phptemplate in core?

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Sun May 1 20:06:23 UTC 2005

>> I'd like to keep it as it is. But I'd like to see a converted version
>> too in order to do benchmarks. :)
>
> It's mostly just for designer friendliness I'd consider changing it.
>
> I don't think there's anything complex enough about it that it warrants
> a .theme.
>
> But I suppose that's kind of hard to say, since most of the complex
> themes out there are being implemented
> in phptemplate, and the template.php file makes it more flexible, and
> still copy-able (which the chameleon
> theme doesn't).

IMHO it is worth to keep a "showcase" (even if such a simple one) in
core of such an important feature as the native PHP themes. It shows the
versatility of the theme system quite well. If only phptemplate based
themes are going to end up in core, it will be a hard time getting out
the perception from some guys' minds that Drupal is phptemplate oriented.

Goba