[drupal-devel] primary/secondary links as menu blocks

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Mon May 2 08:15:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Dries Buytaert wrote:

> On 02 May 2005, at 08:32, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2 May 2005, Robert Douglass wrote:
> >
> >> Why don't we get rid of primary and secondary links altogether?
> >>
> >> We could replace them with custom menus from the menu module and
> >> position them using the new block region code. We could then write
> >> menu
> >> theme functions that render any menu in a suitable way for different
> >> kinds of links (tabbed, dhtml, etc). The best code for generating
> >> hyperlinks is in the menu module - that's the base we should be
> >> resting on.
> >
> > I second this request. I am using some hack to achieve this for over a
> > year now and don't want to miss it.
>
> This has been discussed at length, and if I remembered correctly,
> JonBob outlined the required menu system changes in a post (whose URL I
> can't find).

I might be missing something, but I didn't make any changes to the menu
system. The only thing I changed was the way the theme puts out the
primary links block I use as top navigation.

$primary_links = theme('menu_tree', some number);

Then Bèr made me some nice CSS to render the ul vertically.

> This can be worked on independently from the phptemplate engine.

True, but that would mean double work and some would go to waste,
wouldn't it?

> I don't think anyone is working on this.

Bèr has been, I think. Before we hadn't the possibility to have more
than two block regions it didn't make sense to work on it.

What we need is a design decision: Do we want to leave primary
/secondary links as something that is implemented by the theme engine or
by the menu system?

In my scenario, all that would be in the theme's configuration is a
selector of which menu blocks to chose for primary and secondary links
and a link to the menu admin screen to add or expand those blocks.

Cheers,
	Gerhard