[drupal-devel] how Yahoo uses Drupal?

Syscrusher scott at 4th.com
Tue May 3 14:36:56 UTC 2005

On Monday 02 May 2005 21:41, gunnar wrote:
> I think it does
> reflect on the respect Drupal commands among Information Architects and
> consultants. Also note that Drupal was chosen by Yahoo - in part because of
> the powerful taxonomy system.

Seconded. I make my living as an IT consultant, and use Drupal both personally
and professionally. I can't speak for others, but taxonomy was 75% or more of
the reason why I chose Drupal over the alternatives, in both of those settings.

Drupal code ranges from beautiful to crufty, but the core design has an elegance
seldom matched in other CMS software. There are some Really Bad Schemas (TM)
out there with other content managers. Code can be thrown away, but data design
lives on and on -- for good or for ill.

Grace Hopper, one of the inventors of the COBOL language, often used to remark
that "in 'data processing' everyone thinks about the processing, but hardly
anyone thinks about the data." Drupal's designers understand this maxim at
a deep, intuitive level, a fact that is quite evident to other IT
professionals.

Scott