[drupal-devel] Cleaner Directory structure

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Sun May 8 15:07:45 UTC 2005

On 08 May 2005, at 4:35 PM, K B wrote:

> On 5/8/05, Adrian Rossouw <adrian at bryght.com> wrote:
>> On 08 May 2005, at 2:36 PM, K B wrote:
>>>
>>> What do other developers think of this? It will address one gripe
>>> that
>>> people have, which is the difficulty of doing upgrades.
>>
>> My install system would address that too.
>
> That is great.
>
>> I just don't like it because of the extra typing it requires of me,
>> but
>> I like the idea of seperating contrib and core modules/themes.
>
> Yes. core, contrib AND configuration. This way Drupal core upgrade is
> very simple. Just rename the existing drupal directory and copy a new
> one in its place.
Also, while we are re-organizing files, I feel we should move all
modules
into their own directories.

With our new propensity towards conditional including of code as
needed, and
the install system work which will end with multiple files per module,
I feel it's
necessary .

> There could be name clashes with such a generic name. How about
> drlocal or something like that? We can even make that name
> configurable, by changing a file under the drupal directory, but then
> we are back to "configuration files under code directory" thing which
> we tried to avoid in the first place.
Drupal will still have name clashes with things, due to the path system
it uses; The htaccess will make entire parts of the system unavailable
if such a directory already exists (ie: people who have an admin/
directory)

> anything). This helps in cases where a host configuration gets botches
> up and php files are served as plain text, and people can see the
> passwords in the settings.php and other info.
Could be a good idea, except some people might not have access
to anything but their public_html directories.

- --
Adrian Rossouw
Drupal developer and Bryght Guy
http://drupal.org | http://bryght.com