[drupal-devel] Cleaner Directory structure

K B kbahey at gmail.com
Thu May 12 17:08:04 UTC 2005

On 5/12/05, Dries Buytaert <dries at buytaert.net> wrote:
> > Not sure that I understand you there. The current situation in Drupal
> > is that the contents of the tarball are exactly the same as the
> > contents of CVS (except that CVS is more up-to-date). Are you saying
> > that this will no longer be the case? Do you mean that checking out
> > Drupal core will now have a different result to downloading a tarball
> > of Drupal core?
> >
> > My understanding was that the Drupal core CVS repository would have
> > everything under /public_html, and that the Drupal core tarball would
> > have the same (this is how it is now). Why would you want to change
> > this? Doing so would only confuse people.
>
> Agreed. If we go ahead with this, the directory structure in CVS should
> match the structure in the tarball.  If not, we're asking for trouble,
> and it is a nightmare for people using CVS to maintain/update their
> sites.

Dries

I hear what you are saying, but the idea here is to improve this for
the end user and not be obstructed because of developers (who already
know what they are doing and can work around it).

This leaves several options:

1. Go ahead with this new scheme (drupal and local) and reorganize the
CVS to match. There is some work involved at the CVS backedn level,
making it match the proposed scheme.

2. Write a script to move directories after a CVS checkout. This seems
cumbersome, since a cvs update will not work.

3. Adrian's install handles upgrades (need details on when it will be
available and whether upgrades will be seemless)

4. Forget this whole new directory structure thing, and continue to
deal with complaints about upgrades being dangerous and difficult.

What do you think?