[drupal-devel] admin/node is not sorted

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Thu May 12 23:47:36 UTC 2005

On May 12, 2005, at 4:25 PM, K B wrote:

> In 4.6, the admin/node page presents nodes in an unsorted manner.
> Moreover, the table columns are not sortable either. This does not
> make sense.
>
> Should I cook up a patch for that, or is this by design for some
> reason that is obscure to me?

This is a good usability catch.  I recommend considering the
following when dealing with a list of items.  If you understand your
audience and their usage patterns then you should order the nodes in
order that they are most likely to use them.   This is particularly
useful if the number of nodes is less than 7.   The rule of thumb is
that people have trouble remembering more than 7 things vertically
and 4 things horizontally.

If the number of nodes are greater than 7 then it is recommended that
you sort the list alphabetically.   Users can quickly sort through an
alphabetically sorted list.

These are not absolute rules but they are good defaults.

Cheers,
Kieran