[drupal-devel] Admin Help writing instructions - 60 patches coming soon

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Tue May 17 03:41:24 UTC 2005

On May 16, 2005, at 7:40 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

First off, thanks for taking the time to respond.  I know
documentation is not the most fun topic :-)   In general, I think the
benefits of the english versions will translate as well to translated
versions.   Also, I think this a good question for the Drupal docs
mailing list.

A couple of things that I think will be beneficial for translators
will be that the text in the code is going to be reduced and will be
much more consistent.  I hope that consistency will make for easier
translations.   Also, I believe the greater reliance on using lists
of links will make for more clarity and not require as much translation.

> a) Currently, translators can translate the docs for say Drupal 4.6
> and
> be pretty sure that they won't change over this release cycle. With
> you
> change, the translation might be improved after the release -
> unless it
> is agreed not to do this as we do with the code.

Yes, I see this as an advantage.   In the current admin help drafts
each page ends with "For further information, read the ....http://
drupal.org/node/####.   Translators can link to their own page
instead.   With regards to versioning we have yet to come up with a
solution.   We have been discussing it on the mailing list for
several months and I know it has been a topic for several years.
Thanks for raising the issue, and I'll take it back to the team.
The larger issue however, may be the sharp increase in the amount of
documentation.   There is a strong demand for more contributions
documentation and this may become a heavy workload for the translators.

> b) Different Drupal versions need different docs. How will you show
> users a set of docs for each version?

Each version of the module's admin help could point to their own page
on Drupal.org.   This might get messy, but I guess that's what
content management systems are for :-)

Cheers,
Kieran