[drupal-devel] Admin Help writing instructions - 60 patches coming soon

puregin puregin at puregin.org
Tue May 17 08:16:14 UTC 2005

I believe that my suggestions about putting this
documentation into the database might help with some
of these issues.

     I imagine that the process would look something
like this -

     - help texts get written and refined by developers and
       members of the documentation team.  The working
       version of these documents in the drupal.org
       database would correspond to the CVS version of
       the code.

       Better versioning for nodes is a longer-term need,
       but in the meantime, the existing node versioning
       would work for 'head', and branching could be done
       by bulk-copying the nodes.

    - the script which generates the CVS tarball would
      grab the help-texts from the drupal.org database
      and dump them into the database.(my|postgre)sql
      file (or a separate dump file?)

    - I'd like to see translated help-texts available on-line at
      drupal.org also.  These would be written and versioned
      as for the English texts.  There would have to be a
      separate process for getting these translations into
      the .po files.

Actually, what I'd like to see is documentation on
docs.drupal.org - a separate server :)

I'm also intrigued by Kieran's idea of using xml-rpc
or some other method of having installed Drupal
sites update their documentation dynamically,
or load new translations dynamically.

      Regards, Djun

--
Djun M. Kim, Director
djun.kim at cielosystems.com
Cielo Systems Inc.
http://www.cielosystems.com
Strategic Software Research                     Tel:   (604) 739-3941
302 - 1298 10th Avenue West                     FAX:   (604) 739-3943
Vancouver, BC, V6H 1J4                          Mobile:(778) 895-1379