[drupal-devel] Admin Help writing instructions - 60 patches coming soon

Gerhard Killesreiter killesreiter at physik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue May 17 18:10:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Kieran Lal wrote:

> On May 16, 2005, at 11:04 PM, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>
> > Where will those pages reside? Is there any plan for this?
>
> > We still should have a solution for this before the help pages are
> > changed.
> >
> > My revisions patch will make keeping revisioned information through
> > Drupal somewhat easier. I think that it would be possible to extend it
> > further to also allow for branches. This could help to keep
> > documentation for different branches of Drupal up to date.
>
> I don't think we addressed your question adequately yet.
>
> I don't know anything about your revisions patch.   But there has

The patch is more of a technical matter, but it also changes the
revisions UI a bit and allows all node types to have a log message.

> been great resistance, by which I mean lack of enthusiasm, for formal
> revision management of documentation.  I suspect that it's hard to
> imagine doing revisions if you haven't written it first.  Or it could
> be that revision tools are believed to be too intimidating.

Well, we are currently already using revisions for the handbook on
drupal.org. We just don't have branches for the various
versions/translations.

> I think that one way of managing the different revisions is right
> under our noses.  Taxonomies, and their young trendy cousin
> folksonomies.  For example, I have been looking at wordpress's
> documentation site.
>
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Category:Stubs
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Category:Copyedits
>
> Perhaps we could set up a taxonomy for the handbook and then allow
> the docs team and the translation team to tag documents with version
> numbers, and translations.

This has been suggested in the past but wasn't met with enthusiasm
either. I don't recall why, but the open question how the book should be
displayed in this case might have been a reason.

> At the same time we could enable,
> folksonomies which I haven't used, and allow visitors to Drupal.org
> to tag forum topics, documentation, and content with tags.

This would be possible, but I think it is unrelated to the current
question.

> I think this best reflects the situation we are in.  We have a small
> team of documenters trying to categorize and produce documentation,
> then a team of translators who need figure out what they should
> translate, and finally a large community that could do a lot of the
> weeding for us.

We also need to figure out how to present the created content to this
community.

> I'll move this idea over to Drupal docs shortly.

I hope you can come up with a solution that is viable for all parties.

Cheers,
	Gerhard