[drupal-devel] drupal.css, again (still)

Andre Molnar mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 19 02:27:42 UTC 2005

Bèr Kessels wrote:
> * No colours, nor background colours, unless they greatly enhance useability.
> think of watchdog entries. But not tables, grey tables are nice, but should
> be styled by the theme;
> * No borders, paddings or margins, *unless* a page will break without them [1]
> * No floats, breaks, displays, centres or other things that manipulate the
> flow, *unless* a page will break without them. [2]
> * No widths, unless they are really needed to make floated erlements appear on
> the same line. with:100% is very annoying due to the famous border-box-model.

I was giving this a tiny bit more thought.  We should obviously be
keeping in mind the fact that a page should degrade gracefully in the
absence of any and all style sheets.

I am going to do an experiment and try to build the style sheet from the
ground up - with a plain vanilla theme (emptier than cleanslate).  Only
then will we/I really know what is cruft and what NEEDS to be in drupal.css

If the site renders in a reasonably accessible and usable way with the
bare minimum of styling in drupal.css - we can leave the rest to the
theme developers.

andre