[drupal-devel] multibyte/mbstring in Drupal

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Fri May 27 10:37:42 UTC 2005

> I'm not trying to argue here; if you decide on a "no overloading" policy
> in the end, then so be it - it's just that all of the problems raised
> so far seem solvable. :o)
>
> The perspective of having the string functions overloaded is very
> tempting, as otherwise we'll have to make our own wrappers/overloads
> for Smarty functions, and for any other pieces of third-party packages
> we use. String functions overloading would take care of everything at
> once and should be relatively future-proof, while each new versions of
> Smarty (and other packages) could require rewriting of the fixes.

We need to create our own wrappers anyway, since we should not make
mbstring a requirement for Drupal! Supporting mbstring too might turn
our to be more performant in some cases than user defined PHP functions,
 but then again the special case checks all around Drupal might
complicate our code significantly and might hurt some performance.

Goba