[drupal-devel] Admin theme?

Boris Mann borismann at gmail.com
Tue May 31 03:37:49 UTC 2005

On 28-May-05, at 2:03 PM, Chris Messina wrote:

> On 5/28/05, Steven Wittens <steven at acko.net> wrote:
>

>> I'm still in the "no admin theme" camp. Consider this: how popular
>> would
>> Wikipedia be if their edit interface worked and looked completely
>> different from the regular site?
>>
>> People who look for a blogging tool automatically want a separate
>> admin
>> interface, but this is only a small part of our audience.
>>

> It's not secret that I'm in the separate admin UI camp. But I can also
> see how the integrated option makes sense in some cases. And so I've
> suggested many times that we *enable* the option of theming the admin
> section more easily -- and that Drupal develop some guidelines as to
> what belongs in the admin section of a web CMS and what doesn't.

Err...have you looked at the "occy" theme? He just does some regex
inside his phptemplate and spits out a different theme if it's
anything in "admin". There is nothing stopping you from doing this
with any theme....

And reading the rest of this thread, there is also sections.module.

Chris, unless there is something really difficult that we're missing,
I don't think there *is* a split -- anyone can make a separate admin
theme right now, with no hacks.

Just a thought: I think the logical extension of no context switching
for admin sections is in-page AJAX to do direct editing of title/
content/etc. (except for the actual configuration sections of admin).

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com