[drupal-devel] Admin theme?

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Tue May 31 23:29:51 UTC 2005

On 5/30/05, Moshe Weitzman <weitzman at tejasa.com> wrote:

> There is nothing to decide between. Until someone actually *makes* an
> alternative theme to what we have today, this is all talk.

Well, we're all right, more or less. And that's the ironic split I'm
talking about.

I do, however, think that there are *absolute* admin features -- like
throttle or user administration that deserve a separate, consistent
theme. However, across Drupal it's unclear why any given menu item or
screen should or should not be put into the admin section. In so ways
I grudgingly agree with Ber. Different sites have different needs and
for some, edit is admin, for others, it is not.

So, to brute force this to a conclusion, and to answer Moshe's
challenge, all the CivicSpace themes in the next release will have the
same admin UI. This will include:

* Groundswell
* Democratica
* SpreadSpread (was SpreadFirefox)
* Lincoln's Revenge

I spend 90% of my time theming the admin sections of sites and it's a
waste of my time when 2% of users actually see it. We can greatly
improve the overall user experience with Drupal if we focus on
consistency and simplicity and while maintaining flexibility. So
that's that. We'll see how this goes.  ;-]

Chris