[development] Re: [drupal-devel] mailman wrapper module

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Tue Nov 8 21:47:22 UTC 2005

Peter John Hartman wrote:

> There has been some interest in this project I'm working on on the
> #drupal
> channel, so I thought I'd also broadcast a little heads up over the
> mailing
> list.
>
> I'm finishing up a module that wraps the CLI of mailman.  It allows
> you to
> add, modify, and delete users and lists, and, as an added bonus, since it
> was developed for computer illiterates, there's a nicely designed
> Step-by-Step (EZ) mailing list creation ditty included as well.  The
> code is
> still imperfect, but it's shaping up.

What I am wondering about is this:

Drupal usually runs as the Apache user, that is wwwdata or similar. For
security reasons this user often has not a lot of rights. Mailman OTOH
has its own user which requires special rights mainly on the mailman
files. If I - for example - try to create a mailing list through the
CLI, I always need to make sure I have sufficient powers (become root,
use su, or sudo). Why does it work for you and not me? :p

Cheers,
    Gerhard