[development] Securing Login: MD5 password hashing using javascript

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Wed Nov 9 17:39:06 UTC 2005

Let me add my two cents.

using JS to do a challenge based MD5 auth -- not bad. md5(challenge
+ md5(password)) -- no replayability, no reveal of md5 hash of password.

is this necessary? do not think so, but a contrib module indeed could do
this, I think. As I linked in the issue there are already ready made
implementations (phplib). If it's done right and it's popular, I won't
object for it to move it into core.

As for blogapi logins -- of course, SSL is a better solution but the above
would suffice for the many users who do not blogapi.

But as it has been mentioned in the thread, the problem is that a vast
majority of users are running from Windows where malware is pretty
common... and you can't protect your users from them unless you do some
real heavy trickery.

Regards

NK