[development] FYI more drupal.css stuff

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Sun Nov 13 19:30:05 UTC 2005

Richard Archer wrote:

>At 9:51 AM -0600 13/11/05, Allie Micka wrote:
>

>>1) Install mod_gzip (apache 1.3) or mod_deflate (2.0) to gzip your
>>content.  You will save 30-70% on any text file it is configured to
>>handle.
>>

>If you're going to do that you will have to configure it to only
>compress .css files. If you compress all files being served you
>will double-compress pages generated by Drupal because they are
>already gzipped.

Only cached pages are gzipped and I think that mod_gzip is bright enough
to repsect the gzip header that is sent by Drupal.

>That's probably why people are seeing so many bytes of .css
>being served compared with pages... pages are gzipped and
>only the amount of bytes sent is logged. But .css isn't
>compressed so the full file size is logged.

Possibly. There is a "gzip the css" task on drupal.org with some links
on the topic.

>>2) If you can't access your server's configuration and care more
>>about bandwidth than cpu, have php handle .css files and use its gzip
>>output handler.
>>

>There are recipes on the web for storing gzipped files in the
>filesystem and serving them rather than compressing the file
>for every hit. Save CPU as well as bandwidth :)

That is the reason why we store cached pages in compressed form. Finally
somebody who appreciates and understands that. ;p

Cheers,
Gerhard