[development] replace drupal.js with prototype.js?

Nedjo Rogers nedjo at islandnet.com
Tue Nov 15 04:05:08 UTC 2005

I really like the approaches implemented in drupal.js.

But I've been wondering--would we do better to use the now widely supported,
and excellently designed, Prototype library (http://prototype.conio.net/ --
see documentation e.g. at
http://www.sergiopereira.com/articles/prototype.js.html) instead?

The advantages would be that we'd be using a well supported open source
library, rather than our own (nice, but not used elsewhere) solution.  Doing
so would allow Drupal developers to use the ever-expanding range of
Prototype-based libraries, including:

moofx http://moofx.mad4milk.net/
behaviour http://bennolan.com/behaviour/
scriptaculous http://script.aculo.us

We'd still need some custom drupal methods, but we could reduce them to a
minimum.

We could also draw on other open source CMS etc. softwares using Prototype,
e.g, Ruby on Rails.

Doing so would require some refactoring of our existing javascript
(autoexpand, etc.), but really not so much.  And we'd be able to take
advantage of some great features and methods in Prototype and its related
libraries.

Prototype and its relatives are "MIT style" licensed, presumably GPL
compatible,
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses.

Thoughts?