[development] subversion

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Wed Nov 16 14:08:55 UTC 2005

On 11/16/05 3:24 AM, Karoly Negyesi wrote:
>> And *nobody* (correct for rounding) is going to *touch* it if we're
>> not using cvs or svn.  Why on earth would I want to learn to use
>> a different tool for each project I'm involved with?
>
> To quote James Blackwell from bzr:
>
> If that argument were true, everyone would be running windows xp, there
> would be no macs, and every webserver would be apache. :)  and we'd all
> _still_ be running sendmail. =) CVS has been around for roughly forever,
> but it too displaced something else -- cssc and sccs. SVN has prided
> itself on retaining CVS's feel with the addition of a couple features.
> Which is fine, but would you really want to deal with something trying
> to be like CVS for the rest of your life?

that's a pretty weak argument. first off, macs predate windows XP (and
windows in general) - fraknly i've never run XP for anything... most
webservers *are* apache... and as for sendmail... no we don't run
sendmail we run things that are functionally equivalent to sendmail but
much easier to setup & maintain and that have some added features.
y'know ... kinda like svn vs. cvs.

James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net