[development] SCM idea

Gordon Heydon gordon at heydon.com.au
Sat Nov 19 02:12:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 00:15 +0100, Bèr Kessels wrote:
> Op vrijdag 18 november 2005 22:12, schreef Neil Drumm:
> > What if we set up a parallel contributions repository using a different
> > SCM which we would optionally put our modules in? If a few of the large
> > contrib projects moved we could get a good idea of how well it works
> > without risking productivity on core.
> >
> > This of course would be horribly technically complex since the cvs
> > module and release scripts would have to deal with two systems in parallel.
>
> Gordon and others interested in Darcs:
>
> I am very willing to help you with work on darcs. Antyhing that needs to be
> done now, in order to get some contribs into a repository? Can we use Gordons
> server or should I set one up myself?

I could set up the contrib repository if you want. and I am happy to
have darcs running on my web site. The only thing is that the web front
end sometime gets killed by the dreamhost house keeping because darcs is
a little cpu hungry sometimes.

> Most notably id like to see the development of the files stuff get in there,
> that is a big project ,with in future (hopefully?) a few developers working
> on one base.

This can all be done, I am just not really up to speed on what happens
on the backend for the current drupal cvs setup.

But because every darcs repository is a working system then we could
actually have with very little work a automated test suite that gets run
after every commit.

Not exactly sure if we could do this this contrib, but it could be done.

Gordon.