[development] Node referencing

Adrian Rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Sat Nov 19 13:34:59 UTC 2005

On 19 Nov 2005, at 3:01 PM, Moshe Weitzman wrote:

>  > As others have mentioned, there are many modules out there that
> manage
>> node-to-node relationships.  One thing that was a problem the last
>> time I looked was how to go about restricting access to node/add/
>> [type that requires parent]/[nid of parent] without other things
>> breaking.  Previous discussions led me to override the menu
>> settings to disallow access to this path, but since the menu
>> system does not prioritize it's entries, you may find that your
>> modification of the menu permissions doesn't always work.  The
>> result is that the node/add page shows links to add content that
>> is not allowed to exist without a parent. The Node Relativity
>> module (http://drupal.org/node/17004) essentially does what you're
>> looking for, but hasn't been updated in a while.  It is big and
>> needs some refactoring and is probably a heavier solution than
>> you're looking for, though.
>
> what about simply removing the node/add page using menus module?
> that page is often worthless anyway (as is the whole navigation
> block IMO).

For the new version of oasismag I am dropping the use of the
nagivation block.

1) i am moving the admin menu to it's own block, enabled only for
admins.
2) i am putting site wide links (journals, poetry, forum and about)
into the primary links (underneath the header). [ anything that is
shared space ]
3) I am putting personal links (my account, my journal, my inbox (n)
etc.) into the secondary links, which are placed to the top right of
the header. [ anything that is personal space ]
4) I am moving all the 'actions' into a flat menu at the top right
block. (new journal entry, new forum post, new private message etc.)
[ anything that results in an object being created ]

I like this because everything has it's place, and it keeps each of
the menu's to the bare minimum. Since we have tabs now, i see no
reason for deeply nested
configurations anymore.

I also want to make all the things you can do and see , visible most
of the time, without having to click down into trees.

- --
Adrian Rossouw
Drupal developer and Bryght Guy
http://drupal.org | http://bryght.com