[development] that admin theme (from money/ work point of view), call for arms?

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sun Nov 20 21:37:01 UTC 2005

Hi there,

First of all, i don't want to restart this endless debate, I just want to get
those that are already behind this idea, going. :)

I have just managed to set up a theme, for my sister. She is graphical
designer so it had to be "nifty" or "appealing". But I refuse to get into
flash and that crap.

I managed to create a theme from scratch, that uses image galleries, books and
a few static pages, in less then four hours. (will launch somwhere December)
That is, four hours after I did the layout in inkscape and illustrator (just a
drawing suite). So, that is four hours to:
* make the HTML (validate)
* test the CSS on various platform. (okay, ie5 (mac) is omitted, for now)
* make that a theme

But, off course, the admin part breaks horribly. Absolute positioning,
hardcoded CSS dimensions and more of such 'niftyness' + Drupal admin don't go
together, never.

So why this mail? Not to tell you how quick I can theme ;) But because I have
now proved, *to myself*, that I really need that admin theme. It shortens the
themeing, or design of a site with over 750%. That is an afternoon vs a week!
So, as of today, I really beleive that a lot of developers, themers and users
can get their site online in *at least* half the time they would usually
need, had they not have to bother abotu that admin part.
And yes, I beleive it reduces usability, but if it obviously saves so much, I
think it is worth that loss!

Here is my plan:
 * get the amin part out of civicspace (Robert Douglas, did you not already do
this?)
 * upgrade sections to ship as teh engine to achieve this admin-theme-magic.

Anyone who wats to jump on this boat, please grab me on IRC, or by mail (ber
curlything webschuur com). It should be a matter of hours to get this done.
From then on we can look if more plp are interested, maybe even get all this
shipped with core in a distant future.

 Bèr

Oh and for the record: the HTML is non-table, the *complete* stylesheet (i
trew out drupal.css, off course) is just under 120 lines!
--
| Bèr Kessels | webschuur.com | website development |
| http://bler.webschuur.com | http://www.webschuur.com |