[development] Another translation module

Rob Ellis rob at web.ca
Wed Nov 23 13:53:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 12:19:38PM +0100, Fehér János wrote:
> 2005-11-22, k keltezéssel 08.51-kor Rob Ellis ezt írta:
> > That's one of the goals for the 'tr' module... fields for translating
> > menu items are on the regular menu edit form, fields for translating
> > taxonomy terms are on the taxonomy term form, node translation links
> > are available when you view nodes, you can filter by language in
> > the regular content admin interface.
>
> I see. But why don't you extend the i18n.module?
> Jose said that the aproaches of the two module are the same.

The basic idea of associating nodes with a node_translation table
and doing content switching is the same, but in several ways the
two modules are quite different -- in how they determine the
request language, in how they plug into Drupal's path functions,
in how they handle content admin.

My original decision not to use i18n was made back in February
when i18n required core db modifications and generally was
less developed than it is now. In the meantime, I worked on
a few multi-lingual sites based on my own code, and got interested
in the problem... When I had some time this fall I decided to write
a new module from scratch based on what I'd learned.

I'm hoping it will be useful to people, maybe as a contribution
to i18n's development, I don't know.

- Rob

--
Rob Ellis <rob at web.ca>