[development] One core, many distributions

Andre Molnar mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 03:30:25 UTC 2005

Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> On 20 Nov 2005, at 11:21 PM, Andre Molnar wrote:
>
>> Path auto is the epitome of a contributed module.  It serves a
>> purpose that many people may find useful, but is NOT REQUIRED and
>> does not serve a CORE purpose.
> User-friendliness is a core purpose imo.
>
> I believe being able to create human readable URL's automatically is
> something we should build upon wherever possible. I also think we
> should turn
> pathauto into more of an API, so modules / nodes / pages can expose
> properties to be used in url's.
>
> I also believe we should never ever show a node id to an end user.

I hate software that tries to think for me.  (If another word processing
program dares to, by default, capitalize something that I didn't
capitalize to begin with - or another IDE, by default, adds so much as a
line break to my code - or if any software suggests another file name
for me when I go to save - so help me god I'm going to... ... fume
because there's nothing else I can do). How can we as developers presume
to KNOW how the end user wants to see their URL's?

And if the user / developer wants to change the default 'human readable'
  URL, they will still have to turn to path-alias or another path tool
to do so AND/OR hack some code to do it (API or no API). What have we
gained?

> Also.. keep in mind we probably don't mean the actual pathauto module..
>
> more like the gist (functionality) of it, integrated properly into  the current path module.

Yes - I assumed that - considering pathauto does an okay job - but is
still a bit glitchy.

And don't get me wrong - path auto is fine and is a nice feature that
should make it into several distributions of Drupal - but if I don't
want it - or I want to bake my own way of auto aliasing paths that
should be left up to me.

andre

p.s. Am I the only one that sees beauty in the simplicity of
example.com/node/13 meaning the 13th node of content on a site - and
node/1000345 being the 1,000,345th node on a site... and am I the only
one that thinks 1 million aliases might be a bit silly to generate
automatically?