[development] One core, many distributions

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Nov 21 05:59:52 UTC 2005

On Sunday 20 November 2005 09:30 pm, Andre Molnar wrote:
> Adrian Rossouw wrote:

> > I also believe we should never ever show a node id to an end user.
>
> I hate software that tries to think for me.  (If another word processing
> program dares to, by default, capitalize something that I didn't
> capitalize to begin with - or another IDE, by default, adds so much as a
> line break to my code - or if any software suggests another file name
> for me when I go to save - so help me god I'm going to... ... fume
> because there's nothing else I can do). How can we as developers presume
> to KNOW how the end user wants to see their URL's?

Agreed.  Some are obvious.  (Eg, user/username vs. user/userid is a no-brainer
that's easy to code and isn't being "smarter" than the user.)  Others, I dare
say most, are not.

> p.s. Am I the only one that sees beauty in the simplicity of
> example.com/node/13 meaning the 13th node of content on a site - and
> node/1000345 being the 1,000,345th node on a site... and am I the only
> one that thinks 1 million aliases might be a bit silly to generate
> automatically?

See, my problem with pathauto is not the auto-generation, it's that putting 1
million entries into the path_alias table is going to kill your system.  Of
course at that point, the numbers make more sense anyway (or some other
numeric format, like issue # and then article # for a magazine, but still
numeric).

Really, though, I'm trying to avoid thinking of new and cool things for Drupal
until after 4.7 ships. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012