[development] One core, many distributions

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 12:57:02 UTC 2005

On 11/20/05, Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:
> Here is a proposed core set:
>
> block
> comment
> filter
> help
> locale (because this lets you change strings so its always useful)
> menu
> node
> path
> search
> story
> system
> taxonomy
> throttle
> upload
> user
> watchdog

This is great: all those other modules SHOULD be moved out of core.
But what concerns me is that they don't just get pulled out of core,
and dumped straight into the spaghetti pit that is contrib ATM. We
have to set up the 'endorsed modules' system first, so that these
extra modules (e.g. forum, blog, aggregator, book) have a home to go
to, rather than risk them getting 'lost in contrib'. These modules are
currently (despite being too domain-specific for core) well-maintained
and constantly improved, and this is because they're in core. We have
to ensure that when they leave core, they're still in a place where
this high-maintenance requirement continues.

Jaza.