[development] One core, many distributions

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Wed Nov 23 06:25:18 UTC 2005

>Why does this have to be an either or set-up? Why not add pathauto to
>the core and give it as an option for people to implement during
>installation? It is sloppy thinking to say you know better because
>you are a developer.

Liza,

As someone who's a die-hard evangelist for pathauto, I'll be the first
to say that it needs work before being unleashed on *every single Drupal
site*. As others have noted, it gets unwieldy with large lists of nodes
(say, 10,000) and it gets tremendously confused when your rules result
in the same path for multiple pieces of content.

There are other issues, too. They're certainly not insurmountable! But
one of the things that keeps Drupal useful as a platform for developing
web apps is the lean-and-mean highly-focused core. As others have noted,
actual end-user installations will almost ALWAYS require additional
contrib modules and tweaking.

I think that incorporating the concept of pathauto into the core
path.module is an awesome idea. Making sure it doesn't paint users into
a corner is just as important, though. Does that make any sense?

--Jeff