[development] One core, many distributions

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Wed Nov 23 14:56:00 UTC 2005

John VanDyk wrote:

> I think people are confusing core with distribution.

People are confusing a lot of things.

> The node/id system is simple, effective, and the best way to have
> nodes with unique ids at the highest performance.
>
> Whatever aliasing system you use (path, pathauto, supermegahoochypath)
> should be optional. If by "part of core" people mean the core
> distribution and that means it's a disablable module that is
> well-maintained, great. If by "part of core" people mean it's the new
> standard for identifying all nodes, no way.
>
> Liza makes some good points, and we should be mature enough to
> recognize the points she makes and ignore her offensive style instead
> of lashing back, which accomplishes nothing.

Heh, you have no idea; it gives a lot of pleasure and relieves tension
to wield the clue bat. My blood pressure is at an all time low.

> Yes, Drupal has a marketing problem.

Does it? Somebody recently did a google query and found 60000 Drupal
sites. He probably missed half of them since he used an English search
string.

> Yes, most of us don't care about that and feel that if she thinks
> Drupal has a marketing problem she should start marketing Drupal and
> get involved with decision making, and maybe roll her own easy-to-use
> distribution (maybe pathauto will even be on by default!). Or maybe
> she could fund implementation of session remembrance.

In any case she should keep it off this list, since it is not
development related.

> She is also right that 4.7 is going to be a lot of work for a lot of
> people without a lot of tangible benefit and we should recognize that
> (I know I do). I don't have a problem with that if we are steadily
> working towards best practices in everything. 4.7 is an example of
> best practices with forms, since they are now (more) secure.

So what are you trying to say? I don't get it.

Nobody forces people to upgrade the same moment that 4.7 is released.
They can take their own time, set up a test site, and migrate once they
are ready. We will be providing security patches for 4.6 until 4.8 will
be available. So they probably have at the very least half a year from
now. And if they don't want to upgrade at all, they can even do that.

And if they don't want to do updates, they will need to get a nice
hosting provider which runs their Drupal for them and makes updated
modules available, etc.

Plenty of possibilities.

Cheers,
    Gerhard