[development] One core, many distributions

John VanDyk jvandyk at iastate.edu
Wed Nov 23 14:20:47 UTC 2005

I think people are confusing core with distribution.

The node/id system is simple, effective, and the best way to have
nodes with unique ids at the highest performance.

Whatever aliasing system you use (path, pathauto,
supermegahoochypath) should be optional. If by "part of core" people
mean the core distribution and that means it's a disablable module
that is well-maintained, great. If by "part of core" people mean it's
the new standard for identifying all nodes, no way.

Liza makes some good points, and we should be mature enough to
recognize the points she makes and ignore her offensive style instead
of lashing back, which accomplishes nothing. Yes, Drupal has a
marketing problem. Yes, most of us don't care about that and feel
that if she thinks Drupal has a marketing problem she should start
marketing Drupal and get involved with decision making, and maybe
roll her own easy-to-use distribution (maybe pathauto will even be on
by default!). Or maybe she could fund implementation of session
remembrance.

She is also right that 4.7 is going to be a lot of work for a lot of
people without a lot of tangible benefit and we should recognize that
(I know I do). I don't have a problem with that if we are steadily
working towards best practices in everything. 4.7 is an example of
best practices with forms, since they are now (more) secure.