[development] One core, many distributions

Boris Mann boris at bryght.com
Wed Nov 23 18:39:37 UTC 2005

On 23-Nov-05, at 9:35 AM, Liza Sabater wrote:

> On Nov 23 2005, at 04:55, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>
>>> You broke so many rules about market strategy, usability and
>>> software  development, I can't even fathom how you came to the
>>> conclusion this  was a good idea. Then again, yes, I can fathom
>>> the logic just by the  discussion we are having here.
>>>

>> A discussion? You are biting the hand that codes your software.
>> Very bad move.
>

> No, I am not. I want to bring attention to what other people around
> the world are saying about you. And I am trying to do it in a way
> that starts a conversation that gives us all a positive outcome.

This is prefaced with an acknowledgment that there are valid points
from all parties (there are no "sides" here, just people talking).
The use of attack language on both sides is troubling ("you" rather
than "we")...we're all in this together, and can contribute different
things.

IMHO, this is not the right forum. These -- as much as you would like
to think they are -- are not development issues (which this list is
for), but rather community/marketing issues. The documentation list
has a marketing sub-component, and at some point the
consultants at drupal.org list will be up that will be more business and
best practice oriented.

I'm happy to discuss this further off-list.

> To you as a developer this does not make sense. You are always on
> the lookout for better code.That's normal; it means you're coder.
> But for people who are looking at Drupal as a product to build a
> business infrastructure, it may well be the only way to go. And
> that means, right now, that there is no business support
> infrastructure for people looking at Drupal AS A PRODUCT and not a
> software development lab. It means that people like me have to
> stand and think ... hmmm ... what can I do to create a support
> infrastructure that will work for the next 18 months; all the while
> creating an "upgrade bridge" for OUR (not Drupal's) next upgrade.

Help build/fund the installer and updater, which should make things a
lot easier for non-technical users.

4.6 is never abandoned, it just doesn't get new features. If your
business roadmap includes a need for certain features, consider
setting aside funding for these. I admit I am confused about the
perceived need to upgrade existing sites? I used to routinely skip
upgrades (e.g. 4.0 --> 4.2 --> 4.4).

> Do you get where I am coming from? So, I need to be in here to
> understand your process as an outsider because Gerhard Killesreiter
> at this moment, does not seem to have the business objectivity to
> answer these questions. I mean, c'mon, you're releases are coming
> out every 4-6 months. That's insane for people in the real world.
> Whatever happened to the 12-18 months for new releases? There is so
> much that could be done just in UI in between releases that,
> honestly, why are you rushing to the next decimal?
>
> Again, the pertinent question : Is Drupal a product or a software
> development lab?

Neither. It is most like Ruby on Rails -- a web application
framework. The framework doesn't care about users...that is up to
individual consultants, developers, and yes, businesses. If the
economics are there to have business support structures arise...they
will arise.

That is exactly why distributions -- whether CivicSpace, DrupalED, or
anything else -- make sense. Communities can form on pushing and
supporting products, rather than a toolkit. Drupal has gotten MORE
framework-like over time, and less like a "product".

Hope that was a useful contribution. That's all from me on the
subject on this list.

--
Boris Mann
Vancouver 778-896-2747 San Francisco 415-367-3595