[development] bzr battle plan

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Thu Nov 24 09:48:47 UTC 2005

>> Eventually, Dries may use a bzr

> I do not plan to use bzr at this point.  (Please note that this is a
> chx-ism, and not something I approved up front.)

I emphasize then "eventually" and "may".

> Furthermore, I'll continue to make changes to contributed projects using
> CVS, whether they are "bzr maintained" or not.  The setup should not
> impose restrictions on anyone's workflow.

Here is an addon then:

When there is a cvs commit to a 'bzr maintained' module, the maintainer
can decide whether he likes it or not and if he does like it, then he can
issue an update of the readonly bzr mirror. The maintainer now needs to
issue a bzr merge so that his branch contains the cvs update, too. bzr
merge is excellent in handling three ways merges so there should not be a
problem. As the  typical way to contribute to someone else's project is
submitting patches in the issue queue, this won't be necessary often. Note
that the current situation is very similar: if you are working on your
local checkout and someone does a commit against your module then you need
to merge that. bzr merge is just better for this task.

Regards

NK