[development] One core, many distributions

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Thu Nov 24 14:40:21 UTC 2005

Let me stress that this is my opinion.

Op donderdag 24 november 2005 15:20, schreef Earl Dunovant:
> I think I want to be sure I understand this.
>
> On 11/24/05, Bèr Kessels <ber at webschuur.com> wrote:
> > If, netto, we have substantial more developers at the end of 4.7, we made
> > the
> > correct choice. I beleive we should count our success mostly in the
> > "currency" Developers. I do not care about amount of users, per se, to me
> > they are but a factor to get more developers.
> > We should take the word "developer" with a grain of salt, though. Anyone
> > contributing to the development of Drupal is a developer in this case.
>
> By "users" you mean 'people that use web sites built using Drupal'? And by
> "developers" you mean 'people that build web sites using Drupal, + plus
> project contributors"?

No. I mean people that download drupal and use it for their website.

A developer would be any of these users that actually contributes something
back.

I (and again, let me stress that letter *I*), am not really waiting for people
filing feature requests on my contribs. Nor people filing bug reports for
OddFlavouredHostingProvider. Those are their itches. My itches are to get
stuff working here. Nor for those that ask support, because they cannot find
docs for one of these contribs.

I am waiting, however for people whom either contribute a patch, or write a
nice howto or doc page on something. Or who actively help by handing me good
ways to improve *my* experience of these contribs.

I know. This is selfish. But I do this for myself, in the first place. I am
not developing stuff for FooBar Inc. or Joe User. If they can reuse my work
that is great. If they then contribute bak that is even better.

But once they start costing me, my time, and my efforts (and sometimes even
manage to flame me in that process.....) I can really do without them. They
use "our" bandwith, "our" CPU cycles, demanding our time and give nothing
back.

Hence comes my statement that one should not calculate an OSS project based on
numbers of users, but on amount of actively involved people.