[development] bzr battle plan

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Fri Nov 25 08:53:29 UTC 2005

Op vrijdag 25 november 2005 00:17, schreef Angie Byron:
> 1. What are our major gripes about CVS and where has CVS failed us?

CVS forces everyone to keep patches in a queue up to date (revisions patch).
CVS does nothing to help ease this pain.
CVS has a very hard to grok concept. It requires users to get a complete new
idea of file management.

> 2. On the flip-side, what are some cool things about CVS that we like and
> want to make sure the next package has?

The amount of tools available for it. Not only GUIS, also scripts and all
that.

> 3. What types of development ventures have we embarked on in the past that
> were difficult to do with CVS and patches?

Grouped efforts on a certain issue. Forms API indeed.
Usability improvments. Most often a patch does not "explain" anything in
usability improvements, because patches are really "hardcore developers
communication".
Distribution management. This has not even been tried.

> 4. What kinds of "Wouldn't it be cool if..?" scenarios could we think of
> that would help ease development?

Manage distributions and "flavours" of Drupal.
Make a patch, then let it do its own pimping (instead of me going around IRC,
jabber, mail, bumping issues etc).
Make it possible to let a patch linger in a queue for a while, yet it can
still be applied.
Allow me to branch off (core) modules to work on that for
 * my own projects (yet someone might be interested in that work too)
 * improvement of a core project. Patches alone are unfit for large changes
 * Distributions. They might want slightly modified version of stuff. Or
additional files

Ber