[drupal-devel] what do you call a rose?

Steve Dondley sdondley at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 08:22:56 UTC 2005

Hold on a minute.  Let's put things in perspective here with using
Google as a measure.  The "average" internet user is not using the
term "folksonomy".  Web developers are.  And that's the results you
see on Google:  more web developers use the term "folksonomy" than
"free tagging".

But the end-user audience for Drupal is not---or at least should not
be---web developers.  So the question is, not which is more popular
among web developers, but which is easier to grasp by the end-user.
Your average end-user doesn't use the term "folksonomy" or "free
tagging."   But clearly, "free tagging" is much more accessible than
"folksonomy" to the average user because it uses simple english words.
 Folksonomy is far to abstract to be meaningful.

--
Dondley Communications
http://www.dondleycommunications.com

Communicate or Die: American Labor Unions and the Internet
http://www.communicateordie.com