[drupal-devel] what do you call a rose?

Bèr Kessels berdrupal at tiscali.be
Sat Oct 1 11:00:18 UTC 2005

On Friday 30 September 2005 22:20, Dries Buytaert wrote:
> Often, Drupal is setup by a techie, IT department or hosting
> company.  However, in many cases that techie is not the content
> creator/maintainer.  So, the user of the administration section is
> (typically) the content creator/maintainer.  It could be virtually
> anyone.
Here you 'hit the nail on its head'!
When I create taxonomy trees for a client i call one tree "site categories"
another one "places" and maybe another one "image galleries".

So, yes /I/ am the one translating the techy interface language towards my
users. the end users (people reading the latest kernel news, editors adding
content etcetc) should only read and see what I as developer leave there for
them: pure non techie terms.

But when I assign an administrator, I tell her/him to read a few entries on
drupal.org that explain what nodes, users, roles, taxonomy, themes, modules
etcetc are. He/she needs to know these things to be a successfull admin.

It is like that car: I only drive in it, and do not need to know how the
engine works, but I /DO/ hope the guy at the garage knows what a piston is,
and how my engine works.
So calling that piston a 'thingy that makes the engine go vroom' is good
enough for me. But not for the engineer. Likewise, calling a taxonomy *tree*
'site categories' is fine, but the administrator, who makes these trees,
needs to know how the stuff works and thus needs some education, and thus
will learn what a taxonomy is and does.  Teaching him about 'categories that
can be hierarchical and interlinked' is harder then telling him to read some
stuff about 'taxonomies'.

Bèr