[drupal-devel] css clear use

Pat Collins pat at linuxcolumbus.com
Sat Oct 1 15:08:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 16:55:17 +0200, Steven Wittens <steven at acko.net> wrote :

> >I'm trying to develop a theme with floating css elements and there are
> >several uses of clear in misc/drupal.css that are messing up my layout.
> >Is there a particular programmatic reason the use of clear is
> >superordinate to themes?
> >
> >I seem to have been able to override it in the theme css file, but aside
> >from it being temporarily annoying to fix, it doesn't seem like I should
> >have to override Drupal built-in css.

Css stands for Cascading Style Sheets.  Making use of the cascading part is
not a fix, but a feature.

http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/sidepages/jello-piefecta-clean.html

> By encasing each column in a floated div, you structurally separate
> them, and they won't interfere with eachothers clears. This also has the
> benefit of allowing source ordered columns.

I looked at doing this, but found the css much to complicated for the
average person to understand.

Here is what I have know for a theme using floating divs:
http://www.linuxcolumbus.com .   It is a modification of the phptemplate
bluemarine theme.  Goal is to just see what I can do and to make it as
simple as possible.  Comments welcome.

Pat