[drupal-devel] Admin theme

Kobus Myburgh ITBJDM at puknet.puk.ac.za
Mon Oct 3 09:43:53 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have been following this discussion on-and-off, but wasn't the "admin theme" in a previous version of Drupal? I think it was 4.2 or 4.1. I still have a site running on that version that uses the admin theme. At that time there was a huge discussion about NOT having it anymore, so I assume this is making a complete circle now.

I believe the main issues about that version's admin theme was because it was:

1. Branded (Druplicon)
2. Not user customizable
3. ... (Can't remember other issues with regards to that)

What exactly is the difference here? Why was it removed then and not improved instead?  Besides the fact that this one will probably be much better than that version, and (maybe indirectly) handle the concerns that was around the previous times?

I don't condemn the decisions made then, but I was wondering if someone (like me) who can remember those old times can chime in and drive this issue forward?

Regards,

Kobus

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 11:45:28AM -0700, Chris Messina wrote:
> Towards a proposal to solve this issue, I mocked up a UI... it presumes:
>
> 1) that an admin theme is available and bundled by default with drupal
> 2) it's not enabled by default
> 3) that modules identity the kind of functionality that they provide
> or that these proposed "zones" can be customized with a set of
> regexps.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/48039082/

I think options like "what is your admin section" are a bit beyond the
beginner user. It could be great for ASPs and contractors, and those
people don't necessarily need a UI for such a thing.

Lets do the admin theme on any child page of /admin. Want create content
to be an administration function? Use the menu module to move it to be a
child of /admin.

While we are on the subject.. anyone have any constructive criticism for
the menu module or maybe some mockups?

-Neil