[drupal-devel] what do you call a rose?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Oct 4 00:30:01 UTC 2005

For what it's worth, as of this post I have no forking idea what "folksonomy"
means OR what "free tagging" means.  Really, neither name tells me what it
actually does to the level that I'd be interested in.

My initial gut reactions to both names:

"folksonomy": Um, OK, geeky stupid name for something that has to do with
people ("folks").  Um, the study of people, maybe?  Whoever came up with this
name must think that recursive acronyms are cool.  What a nerd.

"free tagging": OK, it involves tagging something freely.  What's tagging?
HTML tag?  Tag like a label, like on clothing?  Tag like a flag on something?
I assume they don't mean free beer, and Drupal's already free speech, so they
must mean "disorganized".  OK, so why the fork would I want to have
disorganized labels???

So I don't really like either one. :-)  Free tagging feels more descriptive
while folksonomy is far too "kitch" for me to take seriously, so that's
better, but I still don't know what we're talking about. :-)

Hopefully that will offer some useful insight.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson