[drupal-devel] what do you call a rose?

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Mon Oct 3 21:39:16 UTC 2005

Bèr wrote:

"So, the original question was: should 'free tagging' rather be called
'folksonomy' because more people will be attracted to that term, or
should we choose the more appropriate, yet less known term 'free tagging'."

Or do you choose the term that is most usable? This is different than
whether a term is more appropriate or more widely used (widely depends
on audience, who is using it). So let's complicate things:

"Folksonomy" may indeed be more popular in terms of Google hits because
of social software types talking about it on the web. Consider that the
majority of people that talk about folksonomy on the web may know what
"free tagging" means, too.

Also, given that someone may not know what either term means, "free
tagging" is more likely to suggest what the use of the module is or at
least will more quickly make sense. I also suspect that "free tagging"
will catch on as a term because it's not as jargon or technical sounding
as "folksonomy." "Free tagging" describes the action of doing something.
"Folksonomy" is an abstract concept.

Charlie