[drupal-devel] reviews needed

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Tue Oct 4 19:53:15 UTC 2005

> Reading this sentence, it seems you assume something wrong is going to
> happen. Instead you should help gather some people to support your ideas
> which are supposed to be better :)

My idea doesn't have to be better, it merely has to be accurate
and correct. The phrase "Custom URL", regardless of helper text
or hand-holding, is asking for a full URL. Using "Custom URL"
within Drupal, regardless of helper text or hand-holding, and
expecting a URL path instead, is wrong.

I don't need support for my viewpoint: anyone who says
that "Custom URL" means "gimme a path", is wrong. Those are
the facts. A "Custom URL", regardless of helper-text or
hand-holding, has absolutely nothing to do with a URL path.

Now, my opinions:

  * "Custom URL", regardless of helper-text or hand-holding, is teaching
    users, regardless of admin, user, or skill level, the wrong thing.

  * Moving forward with "Custom URL", whilst hoping for a
    path, is knowingly applying the wrong words to a problem.

As for "support", there are at least 9 folks who think that "Custom URL"
is not the right approach, and at least 3 or 4 who think that "URL Path"
is better. Most of the rest have all attempted to offer alternatives that
include the visual part of the URL:

  Custom URL, http://disobey.com/[________________]

This approach is implicitly agreeing with me: that a URL is the whole
shebang, and the part being asked for is the path of said shebang.

--
Morbus Iff ( you are nothing without your robot car, NOTHING! )
O'Reilly Author, Weblog, Cook: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/779