[drupal-devel] reviews needed

Jeremy Epstein jazepstein at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:05:24 UTC 2005

FWIW, here's another suggestion about the contentious wording of the
'Custom URL' field:

I'm currently doing some work on a custom CMS for an organisation's
internal use. The CMS has been set up such that most pages of the site
are required to have a 'Custom URL'. In this system, the field is
called 'Shortname'.

The name itself is pretty short, and perhaps not particularly useful
to users who are complete newbies to the web (aahhh... URLs... so
that's what the weird characters at the top of the screen are ;-)...).
But there's a certain simplicity to it that I really like. In fact, by
calling it 'Shortname', the user doesn't even have to know what a URL
is. All they need to know is that they should type in a short version
of the title, using only valid chars (i.e. letters, numbers,
underscore, hyphen, etc). Surely this type of non-technical wording is
good for usability?

If 'Shortname' doesn't appeal to anyone else, I also think Sergio's
'Custom URL path' suggestion is pretty good.

Jaza.