[drupal-devel] Re: MySQL ENUM vs. TINYINT (possible, > performance boost?)

Konstantin Käfer kkaefer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 19:47:06 UTC 2005

Hello,

I don't think using the ENUM type makes things a lot faster. The
backdraws are more important in my opinion. First, if the following
query would set the field to "false": UPDATE table SET bool = 1;
assuming that the field definition is "ENUM('0', '1') NOT NULL". That's
because MySQL indexes the ENUM values begging with 1 for the first value
(thus '0' in our example).

Additionally, NOT NULL does not have any effects in MySQL versions prior
to 4.1 which could lead to data inconsistency.

Source: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/enum.html

Regards,
Konstantin Käfer