[drupal-devel] advanced theme in core vs all in core.

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Sep 5 19:47:30 UTC 2005

My concern is that theme developers may not be good code developers.  One
should be able to leverage some Ajax coolness, for instance, without having
to know how to write it in the theme.  Ajax is highly non-trivial, and we
want to have consistent behavior for a given Ajax trick regardless of the
theme in use.  We can't do that if we're relying on theme developers to know
how to write good, clean Ajax code.

Now, if all of the Ajax functionality was available in core but only activated
if some flag is set in a theme, then we're talking.  That way theme
developers can pick and choose which features they want, but don't have to
know the ins and outs of cross-browser Javascript.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson