[drupal-devel] Code freeze, usability and performance

Dries Buytaert dries at buytaert.net
Thu Sep 15 20:28:06 UTC 2005

Hello world,

just a quick update on the code freeze.  The next few days I'll work
my way through the pending patches.  CVS will be frozen once I
managed to review some of the important patches that are currently
pending.  I'll try to review patches tonight and during the weekend.
As always, you can help review patches.  If you do, make sure to
review them well.  Bad reviews are merely a waste of time.

As of Monday, I'd like us to focus on both usability and performance
improvements.

  - Usability: one of the most common complaints about Drupal relate
to the out-of-the-box experience.  For many people, this is either
due to (i) the terminology or (ii) the awkward navigation structure.
Many people feel lost and don't know where to start.  As such, some
people think of Drupal as "too complex" or "different than other
systems".  In the next few weeks, I want you to investigate how we
can continue to improve the Drupal exerpience.

  - Performance: Drupal being used on bigger and bigger site,
performance becomes more and more important.  Also, because more and
more complex sites are being built, memory usage is often a
bottleneck.  In the next few weeks, I want you to investigate how we
can improve performance and reduce memory usage.  Fire up your
favorite profiling tool, benchmark scripts, and try to squeeze more
out of Drupal.