[drupal-devel] author your slides with Drupal next time

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Tue Sep 20 18:02:30 UTC 2005

>>Dikini (Vlado Zlatanov) created an S5 module as well - not sure if it's
>>in contrib or not.
>
> not yet - the book outlines is less than ideal, it was a struggle to explain
> authors what do they need to do, there are performance issues as well.
> The module can be seen at work, including the various kludges at
> http://conference.iproms.org
>
> Due to the authoring issues, I've frozen my slides module, until I
> finish open office impress presesentations import, then I will
> definitely revive it.

I completely understand the limitations of my module's current approach,
and I would not use this module to author my slides, if I would not be
keen on showing off at my presentation, that I used Drupal to create it.
It is after all a Drupal marketing presentation :)

>>From the feedback I had a few issues have surfaced:
> * the outline should allow adding siblings and children

My module does add an 'add book page' (which should be something like
'add' in Drupal terms) into the outline editor, which helps a tiny bit.

> * the majority of the users were very, very, very unhhappy
> to even cosider online authoring - thus the OOo import I'm working on
> atm.

Regardless of what editor you you, you do outline authoring. In Impress,
you arrange your slides with their tabs at the bottom. It is in fact
harder to rename multiple slides, then what you can do with the book
interface. Well it is not ideal, I must admit.

> the performance issued mentioned earlier were related to the way
> book.module treats hierarchies and I had to do a lot od very crude hacks
> to minimise them.

Hm, could you please send me your module code? I am interested in the
approach. Look, my module is damn simple. I don't know how it can be
made simpler without abandoding the book module interface or improving
the book module interface itself. Sure, the title slide and presentation
meta information could be much more easier to specify, but apart from
that, other aspects are dictated by how book module works.

Goba